Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
> | > The Bangkok Getaway

The Bangkok Getaway

Posted on Friday, August 3, 2012 | 1 Comment

July is one the months of the year that I am always looking forward at.  It is the month when I was born and the month I got married. And for the year 2012, I got this as my gifts from my husband - THE BANGKOK GETAWAY.



ARRIVAL - Suvarnabhumi International Airport
It was early evening when we arrived in Suvarnabhumi (pronounced Su-wan-na-poom) International Airport in Bangkok.  The airport is quite big. It took us about 10 to 15 minutes to reach the Immigration Area.  Upon reaching the Immigration, we saw the long queue of tourists and locals.  Good thing, we ( my husband, brother-in-law and myself) were with my 2 year old son - Johan.  The best thing of having a baby or a kid with you in the airport is that they have a special lane or the "express lane" in the Immigration area.  We were directed to transfer to the express lane.  

At the counter, I noticed that they are using a webcam.  After the passport stamping and all, you have to take a few steps backwards because the Officer will take a photo of you.  I guess it is  for security reasons and it is their rule so as a foreigner of their country, we'll just have to follow.


After that, we went to the conveyor area to take all of our baggage. We also tried to ask for a taxi/cab ride inside the airport and the lady at the cab counter gave us a price of THB2,500.  We found it a bit pricey so we didn't get it.  I also took time of getting a simcard inside the area.  There are three (3) mobile operators in Thailand as fas as I know:


1.  AIS  
2.  DTAC
3.  True Move


Since I am using a Blackberry mobile, my first choice was DTAC because I have found out that they have great Blackberry Services which are suitable to my needs.  Unfortunately, their Blackberry Service was not working that time so I jumped to AIS.


Outside the airport, we found a cheaper rate of taxi (Toyota Innova) and has a fixed rate of THB750.  Anyway our hotel was about 45minutes from the airport.


ROAMING AROUND THE CITY
Our very first day to Bangkok is shopping.  Chatuchak Market was the first place we visited on that day since it is only open until 3pm.  After that we transferred to MBK.  We spent almost of the day and night at MBK, our plans of going to Terminal 21 and Siam Paragon has been moved on the 2nd and 3rd day respectively.


The Temple Adventure goes on our 2nd day.  We went to The Grand Palace Temple and to Wat Pho or better known as the Temple of the Reclining Buddha.


The 3rd day is shopping day once again.  In partnership with shopping is eating.  Thai foods has a lot to offer.  They are one of the foods my taste buds will kept on missing.  Spicy, sweet, sour, they are all yummy and delicious! One of the best. This is also the day where I celebrated my 31st Birthday.


DEPARTING BANGKOK
Days and nights passed and now we are about to leave on our 4th day.  As I have said earlier, Bangkok Airport is quite bigger and therefore, a lot of people are coming in and out of the terminal everyday.  Be sure that you will arrive atleast 3 hours before your flight.  


TRAVEL TIPS
Majority of locals here can't speak and write English.  If you are a first timer, be sure you have a local map in Thai and English translation for you to be able to communicate to the cab drivers clearly.  On our part, we are very lucky to have a relative in Bangkok who can speak in both Thai and English.  


Another thing is, try to speak basic respectful Thai words like "Sawasdee" (Hello, Hi) and "Khap Khun" (Thank you, Goodbye).  If you are a female speaking, they usually put "Kha" at the end of the word.  And for males, "Krap".


Lastly, Bangkok transportation is almost the same as in the Philippines.  They have buses, MRT and the BTS, taxis. They don't have jeepneys but they have the famous "Tuk-tuk".  If you wish to ride taxis, please always check for metered fares.















Comments:1

  1. If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. Cheap Flights to Bangkok

    ReplyDelete

Deejay Buiza. Copyright 2012. All Rights Reserved 2012. Powered by Blogger.